Saturday, May 19, 2018

Loving the World

I have not written a lot in the last year. Sometimes words are painful. Or rather putting down what I think and feel onto paper made it too real. But I realized this is necessary. Otherwise they stay inside my mind and eventually I suffocate from the weight of them all. But when I write them down, it frees them and my weight is lifted. So today starts anew and hoping I can continue to put my thoughts down. And as always, along with Mary Oliver who has given words to Kreed’s life and our grief. 

My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird—
          equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
          keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
          astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
          and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
          to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
          that we live forever.
-The Messenger, Mary Oliver
This was Kreed. His work was loving the world. As a young boy he yearned to explore and be free in this world and as he learned how to be in this world, he loved it more and more with each new experience. Kreed didn’t want much- at home he wanted as little clothes as was acceptable, his favorite foods and love. In the community he just wanted to shop for good smelling stuff, freedom to hop through stores, find books or movies, sample as many everything free French fries as possible and experience as many things as possible. He just wanted to be. He just wanted to experience everything. And to love. Love us. Love his life. Love his adventure. Love nature. Loving just being in this world. 
Which is what makes his death so damn hard. He LOVED, truly loved. And if you were around him you couldn’t help but love too. His death has left a gaping hole. The first year it was a deep dark pit that we all fell in. This year we are at least standing in it and looking over the sides and learning how to love on our own. Learning from him still. But it’s hard. And still feels so empty without him. 
I miss seeing the way he saw the world. I miss the dimpled smiles for the simple things in life that no one else would notice. And the world keeps piling things up in this world as we deal with so many stressors. Even if we had these stressors before, when he was here, we were surrounded by his light and joy and that made all the difference. 
So now...now we are learning the work of loving this world. I don’t know that we will ever be as successful as Kreed was in this, but for him, we will always try. 

Always.




No comments:

Post a Comment