So I try to tell families, just take these thirty second bursts ot a minute to have these nano conversations. Our kids rely on us 100% to communicate and I find it only fair that I try to expose Kreed to as much language as possible with his device. This is why I love the Dynavox T10- his device- it has so many phrases pre-programmed, I have to do very little programming outside of what they have which has been wonderful. And if I do have to program anything, it takes like half a second, so we aren't losing valuable time having to program the darn thing! And the phrases they selected for them to use is un-matched. It has catapulted Kreed's language way ahead. All of this progress! And it makes these mini conversations super possible! For more video's on Kreed using a device, head to his youtube- www.youtube.com/kreedsvideos . Here are a few more snapshots of short clips that are easy to incoprorate at home.
What are ways famlies can integrate devices in their every day life?
- During meal time- asking for more, saying all done, telling what they want to eat
- During car rides- what song they like, if they want the window up or down, answering wh questions about where you are going and what you are doing
- At stores- using a grocery list, talking about what you are going to buy, what they want to buy, where to go in the store
- At a department store- where they want to look or go, what they want, using a store list, talking about things you see at the store
- At the park- requesting where to go, what to do, commenting about activities at the park
- Watching videos- Wh questions about what they are watching, requesting movies, requesting to stop, play, eject, a different movie or episode, if they like the movie or don't like the movie
I will continue to add tips!!